Monday, 5 March 2012

Happy New Year!

Better late than never, I suppose!

Well, here's the first cake of the year, a castle (in case you didn't know) 

I decided one day that I wanted to try making whoopie pies.  I had heard about them, but never made or even eaten them before.  I googled around a little and found a recipe I was willing to try, but instead of some of the suggested fillings I just used some buttercream frosting I had leftover... probably from the castle!

Here are the cake/cookie part, I guess they were too good, the actual "pies" never got their picture taken.  I guess we just ate them too fast!  They were yummy! 


Then came Valentine's Day.  I was trying to be good and somewhat healthy so instead of a fancy fattening dessert I made a healthier, heart shaped, chocolate zucchini loaf.  I still had to fancy it up a little, so I made somewhat of a ganache with just milk, instead of cream, and semi-sweet chocolate chips, then threw some heart sprinkles on it to make it a little more festive.  It was GOOD!

For the kiddies, I made some cake pops.  The oh so time consuming, but oh so delicious, cake pops!  Dipped in white...
 and red chocolate, and topped with some heart sprinkles!
There they are (I made a few pink ones too), over 40 of them... what am I going to do when my 3rd child starts school next year and there are MORE children I have to please with my pops?!?  It's truly a labour of love!  But I suppose I'll have more time to make them next year because I will no longer have to try to accomplish everything with my youngest constantly under my feet and asking for food... that might be nice!


Most recently (just this past weekend) I made another zebra print/Hello Kitty cake... who knew it was such a popular combo?!?  But it IS so darn cute!!  This time there was also a request for a small, co-ordinating, smash cake as well. 

Smash cake

Hello Kitty

The 2 cakes together
I think they turned out super cute!

I wonder what will be next on my cake agenda... I can guarantee there is another Hello Kitty in my future!  My youngest has decided that she also wants a Hello Kitty cake ("and Hello Kitty presents") for her birthday, but that's almost 2 months away yet.  I sure hope she doesn't change her mind, I've already started picking up some Hello Kitty gifts and decorations here and there.  Only time will tell I suppose!

No comments:

Post a Comment